Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Kids Before I Had Kids

My nieces and nephews were my kids before I had kids. At least the closest thing, anyway. When Schuyler was born I was so excited I left work early. I was working night crew at Vons, a job I valued but never loved. My boss did not want me to go. He let me go only when he found out it was the first Grandchild in our family.

Schuyler had a conehead after the long labor. I never asked Kelly about birth labor; what did she think of having, what, 18 hours labor? And they went for a c-section anyway? Why not 3 or even 6 hours before they make that decision? Why was 18 the Magic Number? Was it 20 hours? I forget. Anyway, it seemed like a long time to try and still do the c-section. Maybe she tried until it was dangerous.

I think I remember Dad and Bob almost getting into a fight at the hospital. I could be wrong there, too. I also remember thinking what a little "man" Schuyler was. He was very boyish even as a newborn. He still is. Boyish, moving to masculine I suppose. A young man now at 17. I like him a lot, but I changed his diapers.

"I changed your diapers" always trumps anything your niece or nephew can say to you. They can say, "You're so full of it Uncle Chris," and I can say, "I changed your diapers!" and there can be no significant or profound response to that. I am sure this makes them quite giddy inside, running over with affection for Uncle Chris.

Schuyler likes to fish and hunt. Man things. He has enjoyed these things since he could first walk, talk and read. The first books he liked were books about fish. I think his dad took him fishing before he could walk. I am quite sure he first fired a rifle when it was taller than he. And it seems he is quite good at these Man things, too. If I ever want to go fishing somewhere I've never been, Schuyler would be the first person I would call.

He has a dream of becoming a Fishing Boat Captain and I am confident he will make it.

3 comments:

  1. That made my heart very happy! And yes, I still hear stories about the almost fight there was that night. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, I like your writing.....remember I changed your diapers! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember an inside joke between Marc and I from right after the section. Won't embarrass "Rosey" with that now.

    I thought you were going to say something about how parenting is easier when your siblings are doing it. "I'd never let my kid get away with that!"

    I love your meandering musings here. Reliving a night long since past.

    ReplyDelete